Hi everyone! Thank you for all your calls and messages today. We have the "GO AHEAD" for this weekend. I will have some answers tomorrow night...and will post something as soon as I can. Keep your fingers crossed and your prayers said loud!
Below is a post of a friend who's child was diagnosed with NB at the same time as Charli...she is only a few months older. I think it is written just perfectly, and says all that I have been trying to say over the past few weeks. Please take a few minutes to read and take it in. You can visit their site, the link is listed to the right under "Keira".
It has been a while. As I typed in the date, I realized the previous post was almost two weeks ago. I apologize. This last week was crazy.
It feels a little like we are starting over. Her last round of chemo happened 2 weeks ago. Her first scan is not until next week. Three whole weeks of doing nothing but waiting!
During the 4 rounds of chemo, we felt like we were doing something to help Keira. Now we feel like we are just waiting . . . waiting for these tests, waiting for results, waiting and not doing anything. And while we trust God, we are also scared. The tests will show 1 of 3 things: she has gotten better; nothing has changed; or she has gotten worse. The last option is very unlikely, and the doctors believe she will show improvement. But we are her parents and we are still scared. I think during the rounds of chemo we did not have to think much about what was really happening. Everything became routine and simpler. Now we have to break out of all that and finally discover if our little girl is really getting better. That is scary.
Her first test will be next Wed at 2:30 pm. Please pray for her. She is unable to eat anything for 6 hours before the test, which in the past has been more like 8 hours because the test always gets started late. It is not easy to "explain" to a 1 year-old why she can't eat. Her response is typically just a loud scream and then another loud scream and this continues until she is fed. So please pray for her and for her parents. And of course, please continue to pray for her as we finally learn the results of the past 2 months of chemo.
We will then meet with her doctors on Friday to discuss the results of the test. The ideal result is a miracle where all the cancer is gone and we fall to our knees praising God. The results doctors are expecting is that the tumor would have shrunken allowing either surgery followed by more chemo or another 4 rounds of chemo.
Also, her counts are low right now. She got her finger pricked to draw blood yesterday and we had a hard time getting the bleeding to stop because her blood is so thin right now. She is in danger of infection and showing signs of being extra tired. She needs your prayers. (I am so tired of all this.)
We are believers in Jesus Christ. Our faith teaches us that this universe, all the bad and the good, are still under the control of God. We believe that God loves us and loves our daughter. And we trust God. We pray that He heals Keira. But we are also parents of a sick little girl. Our home is tense right now despite our trust. We are anxious even as we believe. We are nervous even as we are hopeful. And in this silence, in the waiting, in the day to day moments where we have no answers, all we can do is lean on friends and family and most importantly on our Father in heaven. And from Him and from all those who stand with us we draw strength to see this through.
Jason, Erin and Keira Grace