PLEASE VISIT THIS SITE, SIGN THIS PETITON, FORWARD THIS INFORMATION, and GET THE WORD OUT THERE!!
WE NEED TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW.....
Dear Friends and Families,
Children with cancer continue to be treated primarily with drugs that were developed 20-30 years ago. Scientifically, researchers have reached an era where new types of 'smart drug's can be developed to treat cancer at a genetic level. These new types of cancer treatments have started to be developed for adult cancers and have showed great promise for cure. Children with cancer need these types of new drugs to give them Hope for a complete cure.
Current debates in both the House and Senate could eliminate such future development of targeted drugs for children with cancer and other rare diseases. In order to protect biotech development of such essential biologic products, Candlelighters is encouraging families, friends, and co-workers to sign the following petition located at: www.candlelighters.org/petition.stm
A Petition to Congress to Preserve Innovation and Support H.R. 1956, the "Patient Protection and Innovative Biologic Medicines Act of 2007
* Because the survival rate of childhood cancer has not changed in the last decade.
* Because treatment for children with cancer has not changed significantly in recent years and we are eagerly awaiting a major breakthrough.
* Because current toxic therapies are not a solution for children with cancer as they cause lifelong health problems including second cancers.
* Because biologic products are among the most promising and effective medicines for the treatment of serious and life-threatening diseases, like childhood cancer.
* Because it is vital that we spur innovation for pharmaceutical companies to invest in the development of these life-saving drugs.
As supporters of the development of new targeted therapies for children and adolescents with cancer, we petition Congress to support H.R. 1956, the "Patient Protection and Innovative Biologic Medicines Act of 2007;" legislation that creates a pathway for "follow-on" biologics but establishes an appropriate balance between reducing cost, ensuring safety and providing incentives for innovation.
Please forward to other friends, families, and colleagues and ask them to sign the petition as well!
Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation