My photo
What started out as a site to update on our daughter's cancer has thankfully grown into a site to update on our beautiful family of four. Enjoy our journey...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

stop long enough to STOP

One of my friends recently posted something on her blog that I wanted to steal! It is the concept of a "stop doing" list. This is to take place of the traditional "to-do" list, and the premise is that a "stop doing" list takes more effort to make these changes. I have to admit, what a great idea!! In her post she challenged us to make our own list. It got me thinking of all the things I wish I could stop doing, which would better the life of myself and those around me! So, I am throwing it out there as a way to stay accountable. I would also like to encourage you to do the same!! If you don't have your own blog, post your list here!

#1. Stop telling the kids we are late in the morning. If we are late, it is MY fault and telling them isn't going to solve the problem!! In addition to this goal I am adding, stop saying "we don't have time to play, we are late". Ugh, do those words seriously come out of my mouth some mornings? The answer is yes. {insert sad face here}

#2. Stop taking "everyday moments" for granted. As I type this I watch Charli feed Harper...thinking nothing of it. Then realizing that in the moment it is a symbol of the love she has for him, that she wanted him to eat all his breakfast....and the trust he has for her to allow her to do so. May be a silly example, but it is the everyday moments that will make our life what it is not, not just those that are surrounded by bells and whistles.

#3. Stop thinking time for Chad and I will "come next week". I feel safe writing this here because I don't think Chad will read it! We are both aware that we need to continue to make time for "us", which is hard to do with already full days and weeks! But, my goal will be to set aside an afternoon or evening (whatever we can get a sitter for!!) and keep it in the schedule just as we would if it were a commitment to a friend or family member. Hmmm, check back with me on this one. I think the previous two goals will be easier for me than this one!

If you know me well, you know that lists are big to me! Without a list, most of my life probably wouldn't happen. I have lists at work, a list for volunteer activities, lists on my phone, lists for the kids each morning (mental lists, since they can't read YET, soon to be picture lists on their door!!!), and lists to get me through the week. Something like this makes sense for me. I challenge you to make a list. It doesn't have to be big, pick 1-3 things that you would like to make different...write it down, tell someone - post it here, it will make it real!

Good luck and happy "stopping"!!!

No comments: